So this morning I woke up and checked my email as I normally do. I was expecting nothing as usual, but instead I got 11 new emails! Very exciting... though as it turns out none of them were for any of the jobs I applied to, and most were from Facebook telling me that a lot of people commented on my wallpost about this blog I started last night. So yay people read my blog! and boo still no new job interviews :( Anyways, today's blog is about part two of my job interview from yesterday, which would be a full day of shadowing a top manager at this mysterious company.
This morning the lady at the office called me to remind me about my interview. When I got off the phone with her I realized I forgot to ask her if I could leave early today (I'm going out with some friends tonight to this bar that apparently gets really crowded early so we needed to be there early, so I would need to get back home at around 8:15-30 at the latest to change and stuff before heading down to celebrate my friends 21st). I figured I would just ask her when I got there or not worry about it too much because even if I left at the end time they told me (8:15) I would still be able to get home in time for a quick wardrobe change.
When I got to the office I noticed 2 of the 5 people I saw come in the day before to interview. The lady at the front desk asked me to sign a waiver stating that I would be there the whole time until 8:30 with no compensation. That prompted me to ask her about leaving early because the day before everyone I talked to said it would last until 8:15 at the latest and I've got places to be and people to socialize with. She went to ask her manager if that was alright and as I'm waiting I hear a bunch of guys laughing and socializing with loud music playing through the door she just went through. I comment to the others about them having some sort of party back there to lure us in. I mention that this is really weird that we have to be there the whole day and one of them mentions that "what if we dont like it? are we allowed to leave?" We ponder it a bit and the office lady comes back in. She tells me that there is no way to be able to leave early and if I want I can reschedule. She told me after this there would be a third interview! (A 3rd interview! my goodness! I was starting to feel like this was sorority recruitment all over again!) I ask her what exactly we are doing that we would need to absolutely be there the full 7+ hours and she just says to shadow... I mean I have trained people in less time than that.. I don't see the point of having a full day shadowing.. I think someone would get what goes on after a couple of hours and not a full day. I then asked her if these were the normal hours and she said that yes they normally came in at noon and worked until around 8. I realized at that moment that I really did not want that job. She once again asked me if I wanted to reschedule and I stood up and told her that "You know.. I really dont think I want this position," and walked out the door.
I almost wish I would have stayed to see what they were going to show us, but I really did not want to get stuck out and about in san diego doing face-to-face house calls or whatever this company actually did that you needed to be wearing comfortable walking shoes.... I just decided that this is something I really am not interested in. I dont want to have those hours... being done at 8 everyday is so late. I mean I wouldnt mind it one or two times a week, but if I want to keep doing stuff like taking classes at the gym or going to rehearsals for plays or even just going out to dinner with friends, I couldnt enjoy having a job like that. Plus I feel like I would be wasting my day coming in so late... I work so much better in the mornings. I am work-lethargic by the afternoons/evenings.. all I want to do is play or relax after a certain hour.. not be working. I really hope that I will be able to get another interview soon for something better.. Mmmm something that had free food would be ideal :D
Speaking of food I'm getting hungry so am gonna go grab some food, hunt for more jobs, and head to that kickboxing class that I thought I was gonna miss! More to come as the job hunt continues....
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

hey if you dont find a job. you can do this... ???
ReplyDeletehttp://www.liveoffgroupon.com/