Wednesday, April 21, 2010

bumps in the road...

I am currently car-less... and most places worth applying for are not within walking distance. San Diego sucks in that aspect. Everything is so spread out, so it makes it so you need a car to get anywhere because the public transportation is shitty. The job hunting is going really slow since I haven't had a car since my 1st day I got back down here from the Bay Area. I haven't let that stop me though. I have been going to job workshops on campus and re-editing my resume since I now am helping out my mom with travel arrangements for her company (which is taking up more of my time than I originally thought.. though I am still doing some damage control from the last person who was doing this job.. so hopefully it won't take as long once I fix everything and really get into the swing of things)...

I think as soon as it stops raining I'm going to walk over to the mall which is sort of close by. My friend suggested that I go into every store and ask if they were hiring and just be really enthusiastic about it. She said that is how she got her job at Nordstroms when they weren't even hiring. I'm hoping her strategy works. I am also thinking of calling up this woman my dad knows who runs a business down here that works with companies to make them more environmentally friendly. I think that would be really interesting and when I first was job hunting I was too nervous to call up some random person I don't really know and ask them for an informational interview, but as I learn more about networking and become more desperate for a job I think my confidence is getting to a point where I could actually contact her.

In any case I am still doing a lot of theater stuff to keep me occupied in the meantime. In fact I have rehearsal tonight and still have to read the play that I am costume designing for... that I should finish before going over to a friends house for dinner to meet her cousin who is apparently going to help me get a job. He just got here (to the US from Israel) and he already has a bunch of jobs... so if he can get a job without any paperwork I think I certainly can get a legal job!! I guess I'll see how the next couple of days go and hopefully I will be getting my car back soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment