I have been wanting to post for a couple weeks now and am finally able to do so... Even though its been over a month since I last posted not much has happened towards getting myself a job.. A few weeks ago I was supposed to help out with some event that I learned about from my last boss. I was hoping to use it to start some networking in San Diego, but then at the last moment she decided she didn't need me anymore because they weren't going to have enough for me to do. I was disappointed at losing this opportunity to try and meet more people that could potentially direct me to employment... the only upside was that I had just ran out of food at my apartment and could use my free flight from Southwest to leave right away to go to the Bay Area where food is plentiful at my mother's house... Nearly 3 weeks later I am still here.
While I've been here I have gotten advice from my parents, their friends, my friends, my hair stylist, the cornucopia of job advice e-mails that keep pouring into my inbox.. it's a little overwhelming. I'm almost 100% sure that whatever job I do end up getting in the end will be better than the hunt for it. It seems endless.
The other day I tagged along when my dad gave a tour of this new tunneling project he is working on to his boss and the big boss of the company. He wanted to bring me along to see if the big boss from Austria would just offer me an internship in Innsbruck this summer. I thought it was a long shot, but at least I'd try. It was actually really interesting and I had a pretty good time, but I'm not sure if its something I would want to do, but I am definitely not against checking it out.
I have also taken over one of the positions in my mom's company since one of her employees is transitioning out to begin a new career (it seems at any age people don't know what they want to do and are changing their minds.. i guess that makes me feel better that i can always completely change what i do later.. my mom did). I have started completely reorganizing all the files and am going to rewrite the procedures for this job because it is a complete mess. I just started this week and am already changing the way they do things for the better. Too bad they can't afford to pay me, but it is something I can add to my resume as I search for a job with a better income. The good thing about this job is that I can do it remotely because I will mostly be making travel arrangements and being the liaison between my mom's company and the US Air Forces. Everyone says it is so time consuming, but I can do this job in my sleep, which is why I really don't mind doing it for my mom for practically free while I continue my hunt for a real job. I will most likely even be able to continue this job even if I get a full-time job later.
So that is where I am at at the moment. I return to San Diego next week where the hunt will continue even more aggressively.
Thursday, April 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment